Of Music and Me

I’m a little embarrassed by the fact that my first dabble on music was of NKOTB. To be fair they have the right stuff to make a pimple-faced teenager like me hangin' tough amidst the awkwardness of puberty.

To compensate the lameness factor, I also forced my self to listen to some Sepultura and Metallica. Let’s just say parents and neighbors weren’t that impressed.

As I grew older, Bon Jovi and Guns n’ Roses starting to rule my airtime. The love was and will always be there for these two juggernauts of rock. Everlasting tracks like ‘Living on a Prayer’ and ‘November Rain’ are pure and simply the major ingredients that made life ever so exciting.

In fact, I got so hooked up with Bon Jovi back then. It’s the sole reason I flunked my Mechanical Technical class. I skipped the final exam with my partner in crime, and we ride all the way from Bandung to watch Bon Jovi’s concert in Ancol, Jakarta.

Pity the gods of rock n roll decided that we have to experience flat tire mid way. Baked banana and cheese was the only solace we found in the cold Puncak Bogor. Swell.

College years, Acapella and vocal groups were all the rage. Wooing girls in my class with pale imitation of Boyz II Men and sitting in circle with friends playing guitar to the tune of White Lion and Nirvana. Those were the days.

With the advent of mp3 format, music is getting cheaper and easier to obtain. Now I listen to everything. Well, all except probably dangdut.

A quick glance at my ipod, apparently the most frequent song I’ve played is Corinne Bailey Ray’s ‘Put Your Records On’ and surprisingly the soundtrack of Legends of The Fall by David Foster. Been listening a lot to Take That’s ‘Rule The World’ (haha yeah laugh away), Daughtry, and the breathtaking collaboration of U2 and Mary J Blige in ‘One’.

Let me be honest and admit there are times when I want to be a musician myself. Let the broomsticks and shower-pad be my witness. Every so often out of sheer madness, I think I can pull it off.

We had a rock band in college but only have the guts to perform on one small faculty occasion. It was a blur for me so I don’t remember much abut the performance. All I remember was we played GNR’s ‘Estranged’ and I think I missed some of the lines out of nervousness.

It was horrendously humiliating. Yet it’s worth it, if only to remind us to find another career path far beyond music.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally after chatting about music, you have the courage to admit that one of your favorite boyband was NKOTB and boyz3men (^_-) hehehe...

Well, mine was george michael (Freedooooom... freedooooommm) and some of boyz2men songs too :)

bytheway, anyway, busway... don't forget to get Colbie Caillat mp.3 she got a whole good song in her album and i can play the piano too hehehe...

~^_^~
cheers!

Rishardana said...

Hehehe yup2 ... basically this is a summary of our chat yesterday.

I'm always in awe of people with musicality, because I know how hard it is and the dependency on talent and hard work.

I tried to learn a little bit of guitar but the talent wasn't there, somehow my dexterity always elude me, that's why I'm no good at playing video games too ... :D

So, good woman, I implore you to search your attic, and find those old recording of you and piano :) an put it in your blog.

Who knows you could be our very own Marie Digby :) ... I'll help with the hype hehehe promise!

Rob Baiton said...

Rishardana...

It is always fun to listen to people who think they are singers but cannot hold a tune.

It is that American Idol cringe factor thing where you are not sure whether to laugh or turn it off!

On the music / life angle. All people are the same. We have particular tunes that got us through particular episodes whether it be puberty or something else like meeting a soulmate or a break up or passing and failing exams.

Interesting post.

Rishardana said...

Hi Pak Rob,

Yeah ... the latest Indonesian Idol episodes were also cringe worthy :D The guy who sing Linkin Park's Numb alone worth all the admission fee.

Agreed on music as a strong evokerator (is that a word :D). Some songs can remind us of things that has passed vividly. Hm, I wonder what song accompany me when I met my wife ...

Thanks Pak Rob, I thought you were out of town when I checked there's no post the day before yesterday in your blog. Especially with the crazy demonstration yesterday...

Finally Woken said...

Oh man. I remember how I used to like these bands. I actually still like Gn'R and still can remember most of the lyrics. I didn't want to admit I liked Bon Jovi, because my hubbie is a punk fan, and for those who like Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop, Bon Jovi is too 'girlie'.

Funny you said you played Estranged. I like the song too, Slash was fantastic in it, I think Axl wrote a special thank you note for Slash on that particular song.

Rishardana said...

Hi Mbak Anita :)
Thanks for stopping by ...

Hehe yeah even for a Rock Band, Bon Jovi is admittedly rather girly. I just happen to like their melody haha, also the likes of Skid Row, Slaughter, and Enuff ZNuff ... those are nostalgic.

Is it strange that a man also like Sarah McLachlan, I don't know. I'm not suicidal but she was just so awesome in Angel, Stupid, and Fallen.

Yeah Estranged is a great song, no question about it.

Friends (this is for my buddies at the office) ... Mbak Anita has this fantastic blog in here.

Have great holiday Mbak :)