Of Love and Growing Up

Was having a major crush with someone in my 1994 batch. Three years I think it took me to get over her. During those darker days I am so sure it was love. I was such a hopeless romantic back then. Ah, the level of naivety still have me chuckle and purple until now.

I remember she asked me during one outing, what gets me attracted to a girl. My answer was … “the hair” ! What kind of dimwitted lame answer was that? No wonder she opted to go out with somebody else.

Should have went for something more cerebral you know. Personality, sense of humor, quick wit, and a selection of better answers masking my apparent shallowness.

To be fair though, she actually has gorgeous hair.

During my junior high, I have this feeling with the prettiest girl in school (well, at least according to me and some friends). Three years went by and the only time I was able to really talk to her was when we're on our separate ways after the graduation. We kept being pen mate for several years after.

I think if there’s a book for teenager to overcome the awkwardness of growing up, that will be a best seller.

I’m happy to report I haven’t grown out of it. The awkwardness, the uncontrolled blush, and the brain short circuit is still there.

Here’s a question for those of you who are, or have ever been, in love. If the object of your affection doesn't feel the same way, would you still be in love with them, despite the hopelessness of the situation, or would you rather rid yourself of these feelings?

Back then, I used to linger in those feelings … far too long. Not so much after the new millennia when something turn me into this pragmatic self.

Maybe it’s true that love is overrated, romanticized by those who've never known it and those who manage to profit from it like Hallmark and De Beers.

Growing up and growing old made me realize that care and affection is what matters. Not that glorified bio-chemical reaction called Love.

As you can observe from the picture above. I look happier now albeit slightly wider horizontally :)

6 comments:

Ms Baker said...

after marriage, i find that love is severly over rated. i mean for all those fluttery things prior to marriage, i find that it is how u survive as a couple through the most terrible times in the worst of the circumstances and still thank God for that person's presence in your life--- that's love.

Before that, I find.. is a whole lot of emotional mumbo jumbo

Rishardana said...

Totally Agree Lin :)
I remember back in the days, when my friends all urge me to forget about the one that got away, I was in denial. I thought being in love doesn't have to reciprocate and all those sentimental jargons for 3 years :D

Silly of me.

Now, I am just thankful that I have someone in my life to share the journey good and bad. One could accept me for who I am, even though Ira often mock my obesity, surely she's doing it because she cares :D

Unknown said...

dude, that is a picture of a grown up serial killer you have there. the face looks familiar. humm... let me think. ah yes, dexter.

Peace bro...
\ /
 |

Rishardana said...

benny my intellectually challenged friend :D welcome to my blog.

JennieSBev.com said...

I totally agree with this posting. Nicely written about short-lived "love."

Rishardana said...

Hi Jen :)
Thanks for stopping by and comment.
Yeah the tricky thing about love is one minute we have it, the other minute it's just gone.