Of Day Job

Been thinking about how to make some extra cash on the side by doing what I love. It's not going to be the first time. I’ve had some moonlighting episodes in the past.

I just stopped doing that these couple of years. I figure quality time for myself is just so priceless, and I didn’t want to waste it merely for a few extra bucks.

Some people have the luxury to do things they love full time. I used to love what I do, it’s just years gone by and it became a bore, a ritual.

First, I have to figure out what it is that would inspire me most and will chase it later. I just don't have the guts to quit my day job to pursue it - not yet.

I've got some ideas. One of them is quite good - it involves making money by turning my hobby into a part-time job. Which will be nice.

The dreadful part is that, since this economic turmoil won’t be stopping anytime soon, I may eventually end up doing the hobby full-time and my 'job' part-time. Not exactly a first-rate scenario.

In the end the hobby will eventually be totally boring and I’ll be back to square one. Vicious cycle really.

Part and parcel of life.

Well, I’ve got to do my homework. Lay down the grounds and doing some networking. In just a few months, I figure I would be ready. I have to stop stalling and decide what to do about it.

Maybe I have to ask someone who knows the ropes for some advice. Problem is, all of my close friends are nine to fivers like me.

Surely there’s somebody else out there, It’s that time to open my year book again.

8 comments:

Cyan said...

may your soul rest in peace..

Rishardana said...

Very deep Alfvin :D ... say hi to Asti will ya.

Ms Baker said...

Hey, it's workable u noe..
Allah provides kan..
just put ur heart in it insya Alla :)

Rishardana said...

@Lina: Thanks a lot :)
Knowing my lazy self, there will be a lot of procrastination break in the process.

Unknown said...

Being bored is a good sign. It means you are still human :)

What about if you open up your option by looking for a new job. Who knows, maybe this is the time for you to pursue new career (although you wrote not yet :D). Or....maybe you will feel the current one is good enough (since not easy to get a new one with same earnings).

And if you think it is good enough, you will be grateful for what you have and will put your best effort even if you are bored with what you are doing :)

Cheers :D

Rishardana said...

@Roby: Ahoy mate.
Thanks for the reminder.
Yeah, it can be very tedious now in the office, what with all the meeting hahaha ...
But I'm not really bored, probably just need to be reinvigorated. You are right, I still need to learn how to be grateful.

Do come and comment again man.

Bambang Aroengbinang said...

There are people with plenty of ideas but end up with doing nothing as no efforts are made to narrow the ideas down into workable plan; no decisions are made because they keep on looking for more information and resources, and hence no execution. I will be in this category :).

There are people who just do whatever they can do to start a busines, then learn and improve along the way...

Rishardana said...

@Pak Bambang,

That's true sir, after concluding that I need to do some networking, I wrote a blog instead of actually picking up phones to contact old friends.

In 2002, I was in between jobs, those are some hard times, and I found out that I work at best when under pressure.

These days I am resting on my laurels too much. I am working in multimedia, I used to produce a lot sir. Involved in plenty of community and even provided some tutorial back then.

I need a good kick on the back side. Usually my parents will gladly do that, now they are a bit far in Sulawesi.