Of Watching TV

The description of couch potato suits me very well. I spend more than half time of the week to watch any kind of stuff from that idiot box.

I used to read a lot, not anymore.

Although I’m OK with watching the TV by myself, it could be fun watching it with the wife. She is not the type who asks who is the bad guy in The Matrix, however she has a pretty eclectic and difficult taste of her own.

Friends, Scrubs, and Desperate Housewives are certainly her picks. It’s not difficult as they have ‘chick flick’ theme written all over them. Not that I don’t like them, mind you.

I have managed to make her mildly interested in The X Files, by picking some of the best episodes from the saga, which have nothing to do with the main story arc. The X Files for me still reigns as the best program of all time.

Prison Break was a gamble, and it largely succeeded due to the fact that Michael Scofield is a pretty good looking chap. The story being totally intoxicating was also helpful. She was hooked and became a major fan of the series since day one.

She hates 24 and The Office with a passion, while I love both of them with a passion. I mean, Jack Bauer kicking major butts, need I say more? Also, the cringe worthy antics from David Brent and Gareth Keenan are some of the most hilarious comedy in the business.

She’s still lost on Lost. Every time I watch the award-winning sci-fi, she goes browsing over the net or watching some sinetron on terrestrial TV. It is very difficult for me to explain the beauty of flash back and flash forward method they intricately use in Lost. In addition, the love triangle between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer, what’s not to like?

For her, Grey’s Anatomy is just another Melrose Place. For me the interrelationships between the characters serve merely as a spice for the complexity of drama that touches patients and doctors when dealing with a matter of life and death. Granted there’s one too many McCheesy moments in between, but there are riveting storylines in most episodes.

House MD is just brilliant, there’s no question about it and she agrees.

The genius diagnostician’s sarcastic way of dealing with his patients while solving some of the mysterious medical cases ala Sherlock Holmes is indeed the greatest show around these days.

With the three CSI series, there are no problems.

It’s just a matter of who’s the best between Gill Grissom, Horatio Caine, and Mac Taylor. I picked Grissom while she’s smitten with Horatio, which is mind boggling in it self. Because I’m totally fed up with Caruso’s ultra cool way of putting his sunglasses while staring blankly in slow motion.

Yesterday though was a major coup in our TV watching history. I managed to literally drag and shackle my wife to watch Dexter.

I’ve been telling her how awesome this new series this past two months. She just won’t budge. Not only because the star is that quirky gay dude from Six Feet Under, but the opening sequences involving Dexter grinding someone’s skull opened.

Yes, Dexter is a serial killer. Nevertheless, he has a code, a moral fiber, which has been instilled on him by his late foster father to channel his urge to kill, into something worthy for the society.

Not often I can say that people may relate to a sadistic serial killer. However, Dexter, I am sure will be able to steal your heart and in the end cheer for him when he sticks that 6 inches blade in the chest of his victims.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a gory stuff alright. It’s definitely not for the squeamish kind. In fairness, there is humor inside, albeit a dark one, with perfect comedic timing from Michael Hall.

If you haven’t watch it, I suggest you do. You will be entrapped in an absorbing story and end up wanting to see more from our friendly neighborhood serial killer.

Now I only need to rack my brain on ways to get my wife watching organized sports programs.

16 comments:

Ms Baker said...

Ooohhh oooh I love love love Grey's Anatomy !

Rishardana said...

Hey you :) aren't you ill or something?

Heheh yeah Grey's just great, when people look pass the exchanging partner routine and the soap opera formula, there's a lot of good mix between drama and comedy.

It also shows that the leading actors and actresses are flawed characters who made mistakes and being all awkward when it comes to relationship. Good stuff :)

Rob Baiton said...

Who is your cable provider?

Rishardana said...

We use Indovision now. Although I can not watch English Premier League as the result ... darn.

Dexter marathon was on last weeks FoxCrime channel (1 & 2 Season)

Anonymous said...

Waa waa woo wee... your wife has a great taste on picking some movies (^^p) SCRUBS is one of helluva serial movies that i like, especially with that silly banana hammock's swim suit the one that silly surgeon wears... what was his name again? (forgot)

anyways, may i ask you who posessed (^_^) the remote control everytime you watch movies with your wife at home ???? (LOL) (LOL)

~^_^~

,.-*'oo'*-.,_Chronicles of Trisna_,.-*'oo'*-.,

Rishardana said...

Hahaha Trisna :D yoi Scrubs is funny as hell ... the surgeon's name is Turk and that dorky leading character is JD.

Well, about the remote, there's a treaty sometime ago. Basically my wife is the current super power at home when it comes to what to watch.

I used to be the Russian in this battle of supremacy, I lost due to my bad habit of changing the channel every one second.

War erupted and I have to surrender the power just like Russia.

Lucky I have my old fat tv for side purposes like playing games and watching dvds.

Anonymous said...

=====I used to be the Russian in this battle of supremacy, I lost due to my bad habit of changing the channel every one second=====

WAKAKakakakakahahahaha... me toooooo!!!!
That's why i have 3 broken TV remote here hahahahaha...
and my BF often say :
"Trisnaaaaaa, you hurting my eyes if you kept changing the channel like this"
(^o^) ekekekekeke... who cares! i hold the remote!


,.-*'oo'*-.,_Chronicles of Trisna_,.-*'oo'*-.,

Rishardana said...

Wahaha ... I thought changing the channel every one second is a guy thing ...

Trisna bandel juga yah hehe :D

Unknown said...

Please mention about Reality Shows i.e. American & Indonesian Idols. Hehe...My wife loves that programs very much. The remote totally hers :D

Btw, nothing more interesting than watching EPL during weekends with coke and some small bits meal to chew. Hehe...

Rishardana said...

@Roby
Yoi ... the idols phenomenon ... we're pretty lucky it's not Mama Mia, haha.

Darn, now you make me all envious with your EPL ... strange we used to have EPL in Indovision (this is in Flat Benhil). I was shocked to find out they don't have it anymore.

I might have to change to Astro sooner.

Unknown said...

You should man! Otherwise you can not watch your Man U got beaten up by others. Hehe...

Btw, it is funny how TV is changing/affecting our life. It seems we can not live without it.

Another thing is internet. TV + Internet sound like a perfect combination. Wakaka...(not to mention PS2 also).

Rishardana said...

Wakakak Glory2 Man United man ... say no to The Gooners hahah...

Yep, we're a little bit spoiled by technology. I was away from internet and TV once for 3 days and already the world was like shrinking ... hahaha ... although a getaway from that idiot box might do us good someday.

Thanks for the comment man :)

Anonymous said...

Like most of the series you've mentioned. Have been waiting for Prison Break season 4 and the continuum of Lost. Friends and Scrubs are practically on many channels (we have hundreds in UK!) every hour.

Other series I love to watch is The Sopranos. I used to not understand it until my dear hubbie forced me to watch the rerun and before I know it I was hooked.

New series I love is Brothers and Sisters (your missus would love it too) and Lipstick Jungle. There's Dirt (by Courtney Cox) and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (by Matthew Perry) but they are not so popular.

I don't like 24 though, I don't know why. Have tried watched it many times but I just couldn't believe the Keifer Sutherland's character...

Rishardana said...

Hi Mbak Anita :) thanks for stopping by.

Wow, yep I totally forgot about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's a very clever and sharp critique to society. Too bad Aaron Sorkin fought a losing battle against blogger and critics. I don't think they will continue making this fine series.

Iya mbak, I've been hearing a lot of good recommendation about The Sopranos, too bad I missed some of the earlier episodes when they air it in HBO, so I kinda lost on who's doing what. I'll ask a friend to download them over the internet :)

Ah, Brothers & Sisters and Lipstick Jungle, we'll check it out :)

There are a lot of good TV coming from America indeed. Although I must say UK produce some of the best stuff around. Fawlty Towers still cracks me up until now. Legends like Blackadder, The Office and Extras are totally hilarious. We like Hustle too ... for flash and dash criminals.

UK series usually only short ya Mbak ... no more than 6 or 8 episodes per season and there are only 2 or 3 seasons per title.In addition to 1 or 2 Chrismas Specials, they quit while they're still very good and all of the episodes are gems.

While for US series, as much we like Seinfeld, Friends, ER, Frasier there are some filler episodes that tanked in every season.

Thanks for the comment Mbak and have a good summer vacation :)

Finally Woken said...

Rish there's a UK series called The Inbetweeners, it's about 3 or 4 high school students with raging hormone who have to find a balance between their puberty, adulthood, sex, girls, and being bullied at school. It's hilarious.

Rishardana said...

@Mbak Anita ... Thank you :)
Sounds very interesting. I will ask a friend to find the torrent :D

Sadly, there's very few UK series available in Jakarta's cable. They should have more :D we just love the UK accent.